Saturday, December 18, 2004

Tragedy & Hope

Cauil came to the Temple. He was concerned at first about disturbing me and Max. But I assured him that Max was safely asleep in the room below now. We talked a bit. I thanked him for his help with moving things around the temple. He is... changed. his fine dark hair all grey... aged by a tragedy I can feel. And on the brink of another.

Then Deomo yelled outside the temple. Challenged Cauil and they fought. Best friends. They fought. Deomo. But he thankfully didn't kill him. I believe he could not bring himself at that moment to do so. I could feel this battle within him. It tormented me. He wanted me to hate him. He swore he would kill Maxell and Cauil when next they crossed paths. In my haste and concern, I shot off a quick email to Maxell. But something... something teased the edge of my senses. The whispering in the temple grew louder. As I healed Cauil and we went inside the temple to talk... the Other came again... but to only open the way for me to hear... to losten. Deomo and I argued over the comm. His voice shaking occassionally. And with every unsteady sound he made there was this underlying resonance of pleading.

He wanted to love me as Maxell does.

He couldn't understand why I cared. Why I still wanted to help.

I made him a promise.

Be true to yur word,
Be true to your path,
Be true to yourself.

This was my religious vow. And of course:

Honour is the Law, Love is the Bond.

Remembering this... I knew what I had to do. I asked him if he would let me come to him. He struggled to say no... but couldn't. I sought what help I could with the Force. All my tracking skills and the call of Need that tugged at my heart in a way I could not refuse. I sought Deomo out where he hid. I hoped the Other or the Feral could lend me strength. But I was overspent. I could not call them. And they knew I could not handle it again today. So, I removed my armor and packed my sword as I remembered my mother's words. I have traveled far to help those in need. Need has called me more strongly. My beloved Tai'shan, your father, understands. And he is safe as are you. When the time come, Kitten, you will walk my path and record the lives of others. You too will reach out in your own special way when your path is revealed to you. And when it is... remember this. To be trusted, you must first trust. Offer what you expect in return.
Trust and you will be trusted.

I removed my armor. I pack my blade. i took a second ot three to relisten to those words I had forgotted. Then. I took a chance. A chance with more than just my life... but for more lives than just me and my tai'shan. I had to reach Deomo. I needed to because he needed me to. I took a chance. I walked into the building with nothing...

Nothing but myself.

Naked of the feral. Naked of the Other. Naked of the Force.

Just... me.

I took a chance... and proffered my trust....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home